Thursday, December 17, 2009

When I Grow Up I Want to Be Walter Rohrl

When I grow up, I want to be Walter Rohrl. A former rally car driver, he currently tests Porsches at the Nurburgring in Germany and plans to race a stock Porsche 911 GT3 at the 24 Hours of Nurburgring next year.

The GT3 is the closest thing you can buy to a road going racecar. The Nurburgring is the ultimate racetrack, with 14 miles of blind, off camber corners and elevation changes that will make your ears pop. Car companies like GM, Nissan, Porsche and BMW test their cars there to shake out the handling. Saying your car will do a lap in under eight minutes is the red badge of courage.

Spending a day with a car like the GT3 at the ring is at the top of my bucket list. If I could test cars like Herr Rohrl, or race professionally, it would be heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment