Thursday, May 23, 2013

Jaguar F-Type and Corvette C2 Stingray


Looking at the new Jaguar F-Type give me an uncanny feeling of deja vu.  

Now I know why...

The mid-sixties Corvette Stingray is one of my all time favorite cars.  It's just a stunning, timeless design.  The  new Jaguar F-Type has a lot of similarities, even though the cars were built 50 years apart, by different companies, on opposite sides of the Atlantic.

The Corvette Stingray and Jaguar E-Type were major rivals in the 1960s.  Songs were written about both cars, most notably "Dead Man's Curve" by Jan and Dean is about a race between the two.  On paper, the new Corvette and Jaguar look like natural rivals as well.  Both car have similar dimensions and performance numbers.  But from a styling standpoint, the cars couldn't be more different.

Based on looks alone, I'd take the Jaguar F-Type over the new Corvette.  However, if I could pick the mid-sixties Stingray, I would take it over the Jag every time.              

No comments:

Post a Comment